Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Another Year...and Counting

Most people celebrate their birthday with some sort of recognition and hoopla.  I on the other hand, celebrate my "cancerversary."  Birthdays as a cancer survivor are important to me, but it's the cancerversary that lends a different meaning to the word celebrate.  Today, my birthday has the meaning of 1 more year that I didn't think I'd be around for.  My cancerversary is acknowledging the fact that on this date, I underwent more that 8 hours of surgery to remove a cancerous tumor from my breast, and survived.

When I mentioned to my family that  today, 6 years ago, was the day I had surgery to remove the tumor that so thoughtfully *insert sarcasm* invaded my breast, they look somewhat perplexed.  As to wonder "why on earth I would want to think of this day, much less call it a cancerversary?"  Well, to me, it's a given.  It was a new lease on my life.  That's it.  Short, bittersweet, simple, basic. 

So, in keeping with my celebratory mood today, I believe I will treat myself to a glass of wine, and maybe have a slice of cake...and sing to myself;  Happy Cancerversary To Me!

                                                                    

9 comments:

  1. Happy Cancerversary to you my dear!!! Now that's something worth celebrating for sure x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's coming up on my 7th cancerversary, but I've never celebrated that day. It's definitely a milestone and counting! I can imagine you blowing out your candles and am here wishing you so many future cancervarsaries that your cake can't handle that many candles.

    XOXOXO,
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Raising my glass to you too - glad I found you (thanks to Marie of JBBC). It is an important milestone and I very much understand the importance of marking it. Says she who is only just approaching second cancerversary. Very warm wishes to you.
    Philippa :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marie-Thank you so much for your kindness and for including me in your weekly roundup! And yes, it was worth celebrating :))
    (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brenda,
    Congrats on your upcoming 7 years! I never really thought I would reflect on that day in the positive aspect...but I sure do now! Gratitude :) Thank you for your kind words and well wishes :)
    (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Philippa,
    I too am glad that you arrived here! What an honor to be in the company of some incredible and inspirational women :) Congrats on your upcoming 2 yrs, and many more!
    Thank you for your kindness....
    (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wanted to share this article with you close to your cancerversary because it touches on many of the things I have seen you employing to make yourself healthy. The doctors in this study from the National Cancer Institute talk about holistic approaches that can be used to address those affected with co-morbidities.
    http://www.dailyrx.com/news-article/co-morbidities-affect-survival-older-breast-cancer-patients-14421.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. A belated happy Cancerversary to you, Suzzann! I'm thrilled that you made it this far. And I completely understand why you believe this to be a bigger milestone than a birthday. May you enjoy many more years of good health. Congrats on making it to six already!
    Jan
    www.janhasak.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Jan! Never quite thought I would "celebrate" a cancerversary but hey, better than to celebrate than to not!!

    ReplyDelete